Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tell Congress to Stand Up for Working Women's Rights

Every day, millions of working women are forced to choose between a paycheck and caring for their health or their sick child.

Tell Congress that working women need paid sick days»

Robbie from Wisconsin was fired when she left her job to take care of her son -- who had just been hit by a car:

"When a car hit my son, he didn't tell me right away, because he was worried I would lose my job. My older child called me at work and said, 'Mom, Eric's crying. He got hit by a car. You have to come home.' I told my boss, who said I'd be fired if I left. I knew my child had to go to the emergency room, so I left anyway -- and I was fired. The x-ray showed Eric had a broken arm."

Currently, there are no state or federal laws that require workplaces to provide paid sick days. In fact, half of our nation's workers don't have a single paid sick day. But the Healthy Families Act would provide a guarantee of seven paid sick days a year to full-time employees -- to help them get well or to care for a sick loved one.

In a country that prides itself on family values, we need to do a better job of valuing our families. Join me in telling Congress to support the Healthy Families Act now»

Sincerely,

Natasha
Care2 and ThePetitionSite Team

No comments: